Gynecomastia Surgery-Getting Prepared.
Getting Ready for Gynecomastia Surgery
San Jose, California | One of the top two plastic surgery societies is the “American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons” (ASAPS). The purpose ASAPS is to sponsor scientific meetings for their 2600+ board certified members. The latest innovations in plastic surgery are presented at these meetings.
ASAPS created “Smart Beauty Guide,” an online informational website. The objective of the guide is to educate the public in all aspects of cosmetic plastic surgery and support making smart choices.
The guide offers detailed information about many cosmetic procedures, before and after pictures, and posting questions to board certified plastic surgeons. Most importantly, the guide provides a directory where patients can find board certified plastic surgeons in their area. The directory gives detailed information on the surgeon’s credentials and training.
A valuable component of the guide is the information it provides the patient in preparing for surgery. For men contemplating gynecomastia surgery, the following recommendations are listed:
- If you smoke, stop 4 weeks before surgery as it interferes with healing.
- Discontinue all blood thinners such as aspirin 2 weeks before surgery.
- Sun exposure may increase scarring, avoid tanning 2 weeks before surgery.
- Be sure to drink plenty of water and stay well hydrated.
- Inform your surgeon if you have any infections or illness.
- Plan enough time off work for recovery.
- You will need a responsible adult to bring you home after surgery and stay with you for the first 24 hours.
- Prescriptions need to be filled before surgery.
- Have your blood test done promptly.
- Plan things to keep you occupied during recovery such as reading material, movies, laptop, etc.
- If you don’t have someone to prepare meals for you, have some frozen meals handy.
- Have plenty of clean clothes that open in the front available.
Dr. Miguel Delgado, M.D. provides a comprehensive surgical handbook to his patient’s that is specific to their procedure. In addition to the above information, he has detailed instructions for reference. However, patients are encouraged to call Dr. Delgado at any time they have questions.
Start your journey today to feel comfortable going shirtless! Call (415) 898-4161 for a gynecomastia consultation. Serving San Jose,California since 1986.