San Jose, California-It is important to try to determine the cause of gynecomastia in order to avoid its re-occurrence There are some cases where the cause will remain unknown, but for some, doctors will look at the types of medication or drugs, both prescription and over-the-counter, legal and illegal for a possible connection to the development of the male breast.
Some of the drugs that have shown possible connection to gynecomastia are:
- Anabolic steroids
- Calcium channel blockers used to treat hypertension
- ACE inhibitor drugs for hypertension
- Some antibiotics
- Anti-ulcer drugs (such as Zantac, Tagamet, and Prilosec);
- Anti-androgen or estrogen therapies for prostate cancer;
- Methyldopa (Aldomet) for high blood pressure
- Highly active anti-retroviral therapy (HAART) for HIV disease, which may cause fat redistribution leading to pseudo-gynecomastia or, in some cases, true gynecomastia;
- Digitoxin for congestive heart failure
- Diazepam (Valium)
- Drugs of abuse (for example;alcohol, marijuana, heroin)
- Propecia, for hair loss
- Lavender oil and tea tree oil, have been associated with gynecomastia when used in skin-care products
This is only a partial list, there are many more. If you are suffering from gynecomastia, it is best to have a consultation with a gynecomastia specialist who will be able to help discover what may be the cause of your male breasts.