Emotional Consequences Gynecomastia Can Have on Men

Before and After Gynecomastia
24-year-old resident of San Jose, California who presents for evaluation of his gynecomastia. His male breast enlargement has been present for ten years. He does have pain and tenderness in the chest area. He underwent gland excision and chest liposuction. He had 200 cc of fat aspirated from each side. His surgery was performed at Marin Cosmetic Surgery Center in Marin County, California. His photographs were taken 2 ½ months after surgery.

San Jose, CA-Gynecomastia or male breasts can appear at different stages in a man’s life. For many the onset is at puberty, but 90% of those will resolve on their own with no action needed as a young man passes through puberty. For the remaining 10% the development of breasts will carry on into adulthood becoming a permanent condition, requiring men who are looking for male breast reduction treatment to seek out the best top plastic cosmetic surgeon who specializes in gynecomastia surgery.

For some young adult men that did not have moobs develop during puberty may find them starting to develop if they are taking steroids, smoking pot, or taking some prescription drugs. It is believed that use of lavender oil and tea tree oil in shampoos, soaps or lotions may cause the male breast to grow.

Hormone changes are part of the natural aging process as men age, their estradiol levels gradually rise and progesterone and testosterone levels gradually fall giving way to estrogen dominance. Usually this occurs between the ages of 50 and 80 resulting in 1 in 4 men developing gynecomastia and more so in men who are also gaining weight.

Sometimes medications and/or health conditions can cause the imbalance such as; medication for ulcers, heart conditions, benign prostate problems and prostate cancer. Gynecomastia can also be the result of testicular tumors, pituitary gland disorders, and cirrhosis of the liver. In addition, herbal supplements that contain phytoestrogen which is an estrogen-like chemical found in plant foods like; beans, seeds, grains, soy and soy products, may change hormone levels.

Gynecomastia may slightly increase the risk of male breast cancer due to the change in the ratio of testosterone to estrogen. Breast cancer in men is very rare with only about 2,000 cases diagnosed each year in the United States, with about 400 who will die from it.

Gaining excess weight will give many men pseudo-gynecomastia, which is caused by fat alone and not the growth of breast tissue. Pseudo-gynecomastia usually can be resolved by losing weight or liposuction, however the result may be loose skin that has been stretched to the point it will not retract and excision of the hanging skin is the only option.

The development of man boobs in the older man usually has different repercussions than for the adolescent who is struggling with body image and self-esteem issues. The older man is usually more secure and no longer has the need to prove his masculinity, he also doesn’t have to worry about his friends teasing, ridiculing him and calling him hurtful names.  That is not to say that the development of male breasts in the older men is not a disturbing condition, it is, it is just not as devastating as it is for young boys.

The older man in most cases has more options. With age comes knowledge and an older man is probably more educated and understands gynecomastia better than the younger man. One choice may be a compression vest or shirt, but if the man lives in a warm climate or wants to go the beach or is in a situation where they need to remove their shirt it may not be the best option. Support from others who suffer with gynecomastia, such as online with www.gynecomastia.org, has proven to be a great benefit for many.

Some men may realize that it is psychologically disturbing and will seek counseling. Older men are more likely to find ways to cope instead of harboring excessive amounts of shame and embarrassment.  Older men will probably notice that many of their male friends have the same development of the male breast and don’t feel as concerned.

Many older men choose to have surgery and are in a position to afford gynecomastia surgery costs. They don’t need anyone’s permission and most likely are able to pay for it themselves. With all the other issues that an aging man has to face, being able to have male breast reduction surgery or other cosmetic procedures such as a facelift, brow lift, eyelid lift, or liposuction gives them a sense of some control over their body and the changes aging makes.

With all that being said, it is still a wise decision for a man to have regular checkups including breast exams.

Posted by: Dr. Miguel Delgado, Jr. on Category: Gynecomastia, Gynecomastia causes, Gynecomastia patient, gynecomastia support

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,